Monday, November 17, 2008

Eventful Sunday

Yesterday started out like all the other Sunday's do...rushing around trying to get to church on time. I left church a little early because I wasn't feeling very well. About 1pm Scott told me that Tyler had a cookie and now he doesn't feel very well. I looked at him and he had a few hives on his upper chest and a large fever blister on his lip. He said that his throat hurt and he was starting to itch. We gave him some Benadryl and just watched him. Within about 20 minutes his body was starting to be covered with hives. We put him in a baking soda bath and gave him some more Benadryl. We thought that the bath might help the itchiness, but it really didn't. So, within about an hour of him eating the cookie his entire body was covered with huge hives! I haven't seen hives that big before. He had them on the top of his feet and all the way up and between his eyes. It was incredible how quickly they were spreading. I still wasn't too concerned at this point because it takes a little time for the Benadry to really take effect. I asked Tyler to stand up so that I could put lotion on his back. He told me that he was feeling really weak and then his legs started to give way. That is when I became very concerned. We decided that we needed some help. Scott called 911 and within just a few minutes the paramedics were at our house. We were all concerned, the kids included. They took his blood pressure and it was 88/60...they said that was the minimum it should be. We decided to take him to the emergency room. They started an IV (Tyler was so good with that) and they gave him an albuterol treatment on the way to the hospital because his breathing was raspy. They took a chest x-ray to make sure that his chest was okay and it was. They gave him some steroid medicine to help combat the reaction and just watched him for a few hours. We got to the hospital at 3pm and Tyler was covered in hives. We left at about 6pm and the hives were almost completely gone and he was doing much better. We knew that he was feeling better because he talked all the way home...it was a wonderful sound. We are so thankful for the priesthood because Scott and our home teacher were able to administer to him. Between the blessing and the doctors, Tyler was able to make it through this. The cookie he ate was like a wedding cookie...small, round and covered in powdered sugar. I have seen them made with and without nuts and the ones we had looked like they didn't have nuts. Well, we were wrong. I got the cookies from a cookie exchange...well, I won't be doing that again. We always try to be very vigilant to make sure that he is okay and safe. You cannot let down for a moment, just like everything else in your life. I know that we were blessed yesterday and I am profoundly grateful for that.

No comments: