After having viewed all the sessions of General Conference this weekend, I can say that my spirit is full. I enjoyed the sermons - although I could not pick a favorite. I can tell you that I need to re-read Doctrine and Coveants Sections 20, 88, 121 and 134. I also have the increased desire to do my duty, be a better husband and father and make sure that I am truly penitent to fully leverage the Savior's atonement in my behalf. I know that is why we have Conference; everyone gets something different out of it. Since we are all at different stations in our lives and have different growth rates, Heaveny Father does not expect the same messages to affect everyone in the same way. I know I took from the sermons the things that will help me to be a better Christian in my life right now. If you ask Kristin, she will tell you a whole different set of things that she was impressed by.
General Conference for me growing up was not as strictly enforced as Kristin and I have tried to make it. I remember that my parents only "made" us watch the Sunday morning session, and when I was old enough to recieve the Priesthood, I attended all the Priesthood sessions with Dad as well. Kristin and I have implemented the policy that until you are 12 years old, you only have to sit and listen when the Prophet speaks. After 12 years old, you must sit and listen to all the sessions. We have tried to help out with having activites like Conference Bingo to help keep our attention focused; and we have tried to make it fun by having "Conference Candy" as a special treat. Conner was up at 3:00 in the morning on Saturday; we think mostly because he was so excited about conference candy. I told Kristin that its pretty strange that he is more exicted about conference candy than Easter candy. She laughed and suggested that maybe it's because we don't give the kids very much candy on Easter. We focus more on the Savior and His resurrection than on giving the kids candy, eggs and gifts.
Ok now changing gears - we have our traditional final four championship meal coming up tomorrow night. We always get a bucket of KFC for the championship basketball game. No-one in our family picked either of the teams playing in this game, but I think the consensus is that we want Bulter to win it all. In any case it should be an exciting game and that is what makes the tournament so much fun.
1 comment:
I didn't know you guys had a blog! How fun!
I remember watching one session of conference in the church building growing up ... and probably we watched more but I just don't remember. But once I was in college my mother had this expectation that I would for sure watch all the sessions and I rather preferred to listen to them on the radio instead. Now that I have kids of my own we all watch every session of conference together. The kids put up with this pretty well and there is a really good spirit in our home. I'm not sure how much my kids actually pay attention but they are sitting there. I love conference weekend and I really enjoy the messages.
Post a Comment