Sunday, March 6, 2011

A New Tradition?

Last week Tyler came to Kristin and asked if he could make cupcakes. She was surprised, but agreed to let him do it. I'm sure she was dreading it because usually these things are more of "I want cupcakes, but you will have to make them for me" type of situation. I know she was quite surprised when Tyler was able to do most of the work himself. Tyler needed some help to separate the egg white from the yolk, but other than that he was able to read the recipe and follow the instructions. This week Tyler wanted to make more cupcakes and I told him to go for it. He asked me if he could add chocolate chips to the batter in order to have chocolate chocolate chip cupcakes. I told him we would do it. This time he only needed me to help stir up the lumpy batter. He did everything else by himself. He had to cook them a little longer than the recipe called for, but that didn't even faze him much. He stuck the toothpicks in to check on them and when they came out with uncooked batter, he just asked how much more time we should cook them. I am very amazed that he is so comfortable doing all these things by himself. He is becoming so independent that I have mixed feelings about seeing him grow up. He seems so confident in trying these new things. I know he has had the example of seeing Jason and Erin do most of these things before, but I am glad to see him trying them for himself. The picture is after we have snacked on most of the cupcakes, but he is sure proud of his accomplishment!


Friday last week, my new company sponsored a PPW (Preferred Place to Work) event in which they invited all the employees and their families to attend a hockey game. The Idaho Steelheads are the local semi-pro hockey club. The kids had never been to a hockey game before, so they were a little hesitant about it, I think mostly because they didn't think it would be "cool' enough. I am happy to report that they had a great time! Even Conner was getting into it at the end. He is one that doesn't much care for the loud noises and unexpected sounds. But towards the end of the game, he was dancing in his seat and smiling and having a great experience. The office rented three suites in order to accomodate all the people who were in attendance. I think it was a great time and hope that these events continue to be in the future of our family.

No comments: