Monday, July 25, 2011

4 Kids, 1 Parent!

On Thursday last week, we put Kristin on a plane for a visit with her sister in San Antonio, Texas. That was not so bad - there were logistical considerations for getting her to the airport and all that, but nothing too mind-bending.

Well now I am about halfway through the experience and I want my partner back!! I'm not saying that I know what it feels like to be a mom (because I don't and never will), but I am saying that I miss the reassurance that comes with knowing she is at home and is in control of that environment. Since I am the only responsible adult at home now, I have felt the burden of gathering all the "kid data" and making sure that all the needs are met. Before I would just go to work and not worry about what was happening at home. If Kristin needed something, she would call or text me and we would discuss it and make plans to resolve it. Now I still go to work, but I have in the back of my mind concerns over what is going on at the house. I send text messages to Tyler and Erin to probe the conditions - "How is everything?" And I get the response back "Good." or "K." I find that I have to take breaks throughout the day and get these updates, just to put my mind at ease. I know that all you mothers are saying "Welcome to my world!" right about now. I like to think that I have everything under control, but I know it is just a facade that fits.

We have had a couple family meetings since Kristin left, just so I can make sure I know what is happening the next day. Today is kind of a crazy example, but I use it to illustrate my point.

Jason - had to be up at 4:45 am to be able to shower and have breakfast before his high adventure camp, which he needed to meet at the church at 6:00 for. We had to make sure he had all his gear (packs, sleeping bags, bike, equipment, etc.) so that he could have a good experience. He will be gone until Friday night. Then on Saturday he as volunteered to be a race official at the Red Robin Yumm Run in Boise.

Erin - had to be up at 7:30 am in order to be ready for her job at Meridian Elementary School. I was responsible for dropping her off for her 8:45 start time. Then after she was done there, she had a 12:00 appointment to babysit for one of the neighbors for a couple of hours. She told me that she folded clothes and did the dishes for them too... Where do I sign up for that service? She told me that if I paid enough money, she would do it for us too. I thought to myself - what is this thing called allowance money for, then?! She is then going to be hanging out with a friend who is leaving for a family trip to Alaska tomorrow. Whew!

Tyler - had to watch Conner while Erin was at work. As the Patrol Leader for his scout group, he had to call the boys and remind them of our special meeting time tomorrow and make sure they have all the gear they need (we are going swimming at the Y, which is difficult if you have not money or towel). Then after dinner, I am taking Tyler to the Y so he can learn and practice some swimming skills. He is not a strong swimmer, but has to have some rudimentary skills in order to advance to Second Class and First Class ranks.

Conner - well he just had to be Conner and do his chores so he can watch a Looney Tunes on the DVR, or play on the computer.

Just trying to keep up is a job in itself! No wonder Kristin tells me many, many times that she spends the day in the car, running to this or that. I think I like my sheltered life at work, not having to bear the full brunt of the kids and all that goes on at home. Kristin, I love you and will be very glad to have you back. I hope you have had a relaxing time away from our kids and have your batteries recharged, because you are needed and missed here at home!

5 comments:

Kristin said...

Scott, I love you!! I'm not sure I'm really resting with all the painting going on here but the break from the norm has been nice. I miss you all and will be home soon! Thank you for playing "Mr. Mom"...you do a great job!!

Amy said...

What a great "thanks" for Kristin. She really does keep things running, doesn't she? But, she also has peace of mind knowing that you're providing for the family's physical needs (shelter, food, clothing, etc.). You two are great partners!

Becca said...

Thanks to both you and Kristin for letting her come out here! I have greatly appreciated all the help that she has given me, not just in painting - which boy we've gotten a lot done and we're almost done (more than what I though we would) - but also in parenting and giving me helpful advice. It's been really nice that she's given me a few breaks too since Jake is away in Houston. She's helped the boys understand that I'm not just a mean mom. I really do appreciate you, Scott, for letting her come this week. I've surely had a lot of fun being with my oldest sister. I've never really had this much one on one time with her. I was only 5 when she left home for college. Thanks again and we surely do love you all! I can tell that she is missed, especially by Erin ;)

HHM Crew said...

I love Kristin too! She is a well organized, level-headed person...I need to learn from her! Thanks to you Scott, for recognizing what she does for her family. We moms may not earn a paycheck but we try hard to keep our family strong in the gospel and well-rounded people. We love all of you guys!

Lin said...

Ditto to my wonderful daughters' comments. It is so gratifying to read their appreciative remarks.
Thank you, Scott, for recognizing all Kristin does for you and your family. It is always wonderful to hear "thank you" and you wrote all of it from your heart. We appreciate that.