This year we had our Independence Day celebration on Sunday the 3rd. Since it is my traditional rite to light off the fireworks and Tyler and I were going to be at Scout camp on the 4th, we made the decision to celebrate early.
We don't usually go over the top with our fireworks display. In fact, this is a subject that really rankles me. It is mostly due to the fact that in Idaho, fireworks that launch flaming balls (like roman candles and bottle rockets) are illegal. That does not stop the retailers from selling them - oh quite to the contrary! They try to cover themselves legally by forcing you to sign a waiver that says you will take the fireworks across the state lines before you set them off... This is coupled with the obvious "turn-a-blind-eye" attitude on the part of law enforcement here in Star; but when you can sit in your backyard and see a better display from the next subdivision than you can from the City of Boise, there is something wrong with the system. I guess that it will take an unfortunate accident where someone gets killed or burns down their house before the laws will really be enforced...
OK, I am down from my soapbox now - as I was saying that our displays are really tame - we do some smoke bombs, some snap its and then some of the rolling tanks. The best part is that the kids just love our simple tradition, especially the tanks. We always have them duel each other and it is fun to see them light each other up. We used to do sparklers too, but I guess our kids grew out of them... Oh well, it leaves more money to buy tanks with.
While I love the fireworks and parades that accompany the 4th of July celebrations, I am a passionate patriot when it comes to our country and the freedoms that we enjoy. I want to publicly thank all those who serve and have served our country in the armed forces. Without their dedication, our country would not be what it is today. The saying is absolutely true that "freedom is not free." I salute those who gave their lives to defend the ideals of this Republican society. I always become emotional during the verse of "America the Beautiful" that talks about "...heroes proved in liberating strife, who more than self their country loved..." I have never been in the military myself, but both of my grandfathers served in World War II. Both of Kristin's grandfathers also served in that war, and her dad was in the Army reserve. Now in the family we have Jeff who is a veteran of the Navy and Preston and Jake are currently in the Army. THANK YOU for your service! It is so simple to say, but seems so inadequate to express the depth of my gratitude; I don't know how else to say it any more eloquently - so thank you from the bottom of my heart!
No comments:
Post a Comment