This year, our camp was at Camp Bradley, near Stanley, Idaho. It was the second consecutive year our troop attended this camp, and the first tim
e for me and Tyler.
Our group had 13 boys (ranging in age from Tyler's 11 years old to Halston's 16 years old) and two leaders (me and Shawn Boer). This was the first time that I had spent an entire week at a Scout camp since I was a young Boy Scout myself.
The setting for the camp is beautiful as you can plainly see from the photos. The snow-capped mountain is called Cape Horn. The other is of the dining hall and shows all the lodge
pole pine trees that dominate the camp. Unfortunately, the pine bark beetle has decimated the trees here at camp too, just like it seems it has in Yellowstone Park and other areas in Wyoming and Idaho. One of the camp commissioners told me that they are trying to introduce a bunch of Ponderosa pine trees in and around the camp as they de-forest the dead lodge poles. I think that is a great idea, but it will only be truly enjoyed by the future generations simply because the seedlings start so small.
At the camp, since we had an odd number of boys, I ended up being Tyler's buddy. I was hoping that one of the other boys would be his buddy just because I was worried that he wouldn't fit in what with being the youngest one there. This fear proved to be unjustified because there were a number of boys who showed a genuine interest in Tyler (namely Anthony, Robert and Ewan). I think he was a little nervous about being there and not really knowing what to do, s0 I tried to stand back and let him make the choices about what to do and when.
When the week was over, I was hoping that he would come away with at least 6 merit badges. Well Tyler worked really hard and earned 11 badges! He was able to complete Environmental Science, First Aid and Emergency Preparedness badges, all of which are required for Eagle Scout rank. Additionally, he earned Fingerprinting, Leatherwork, Woodcarving, Mammal Study, Nature, Fish and Wildlife Management, Soil and Water Conservation and Plant Science merit badges. I was so proud of how he just got busy and sat through the lectures and activities that each badge required. He didn't especially like the Environmental Science or Plant Science badges as they required quite a bit of "homework" to complete them at camp. Tyler seemed to have a great time participating in the experiences of Scout camp. I was priveledged to be with him for the week. It was fun for me to see him grow up right before my eyes. I know that he will do well as he starts middle school this fall. Hopefully his experiences with Scout Camp have given him some confidence that he can use to springboard himself into all the new things he will be doing througout the remainder of his life.
When the week was over, I was hoping that he would come away with at least 6 merit badges. Well Tyler worked really hard and earned 11 badges! He was able to complete Environmental Science, First Aid and Emergency Preparedness badges, all of which are required for Eagle Scout rank. Additionally, he earned Fingerprinting, Leatherwork, Woodcarving, Mammal Study, Nature, Fish and Wildlife Management, Soil and Water Conservation and Plant Science merit badges. I was so proud of how he just got busy and sat through the lectures and activities that each badge required. He didn't especially like the Environmental Science or Plant Science badges as they required quite a bit of "homework" to complete them at camp. Tyler seemed to have a great time participating in the experiences of Scout camp. I was priveledged to be with him for the week. It was fun for me to see him grow up right before my eyes. I know that he will do well as he starts middle school this fall. Hopefully his experiences with Scout Camp have given him some confidence that he can use to springboard himself into all the new things he will be doing througout the remainder of his life.
No comments:
Post a Comment